Wednesday, March 17, 2010

still trucking....

It's been waaaaaay too long since my last post but I doubt anyone really missed me. It has been a crazy and hectic last few months and will continue to escalate until the end of May, the 28th to be precise. Many work functions, lots of running and a lot of resting and preparing have been going on.

Work wise i survived my first re-org that smacked the running unit which left me a bit worried about my own job but you just have to take it as it comes. In this industry it seems sooner or later you will be on the bad side of the desk before moving on....hopefully mine will come much later. Being without a direct boss and tech rep has been challenging as previously they were just such an immense help that nothing ever really fell thru the cracks. At the moment i'm still plate juggling/spinning.

Running wise things have been going stellar. Still grinding away and have increased from the usual 55-60 to 65-75 miles a week. Most runs are just logging time but twice a week I get in a fartlek. The core of these has been 6x2min on 1min off and this has become easy and I should probably do more and add time but its in the comfort zone at the moment. Today I met Kris Hartner of Naperville Running Co. I had to leave the city at 530am but we got out the door for 4x3min on 90sec off and 4x1min on 1min off and he was giving it. I should have known I was in for it when he walked out the door wearing the adios.

Long runs have been all pretty good minus the one i did down at EIU but that was due to coming off the bird flue/plague and dead legs than anything else. This past Sunday I ran with Derek Holland and Greg Costello and logged 2:13:30 which was 12min longer than anything I've done this season. The good news is the next day i puttered 6miles pretty easy then the day after that I was full on and recovered. That means the legs are standing up to the strain.

Jams wise I saw "we were promised jetpacks..." last week and have bought tickets to a number of other shows including: Miles Kurosky, Thom Yorke's solo project, Frightened Rabbit, 2 Door Cinema Club and will be getting passes to see Jonsi as well as the Jacob Dylan show in which he is backed by Neko Case who is brilliant.

Oh yes, I did make it to New Orleans to run the 1/2 and it went well. The goal going in was 1:16:30 and I was nearly there till cratering the last 1.5m and finished in 1:17:02. I ran the entire race solo until i was passed by Rick Wilhelm but thats no big deal. Those were my first 13 sub 6min miles since 2006 so I will gladly take them. Stories and pics to possibly follow.

In a Bit.

No comments: